web horndean
Horndean 0 AFC Portchester 3

AFC Portchester completed a league double over Horndean thanks to a strong second half showing.

The game swung in their favour when the home side were reduced to ten men after half an hour and three excellent goals ensured the Royals headed back down the A3 with all three points.

The first half was a tight, even affair with both sides probing each other’s defence in search of an opening.

The visitors lost Olly Searle to a head injury after 22 minutes but four minutes later they had the first chance of the game when Jason Parish (pictured above) pulled the ball across goal from the right to Dan Wooden but he couldn’t get any power behind his shot and keeper Lloyd Thomas made an easy save.

The Deans were reduced to ten men on 30 minutes when their captain Ash Howes was shown a straight red card for a reckless-looking tackle on the half way line.

The resulting free kick was floated up into the penalty area and both Wooden and Nathan Paxton jumped for the ball. It then fell into the path of Rob Evans but his first time shot lacked power and accuracy and dribbled wide of the target.

The home side almost snatched the lead on 33 minutes when they won a free kick on the edge of the penalty area. Ben Anderson fired his shot on goal and keeper Brad Snelling had to dive to his right to push the ball away for a corner.

The home side made a quick start to the second half when two minutes after the interval, the ball was played up the right to Liam Kimber who then played it inside to Greg Peel, and his shot from 15 yards out forced Snelling to get down quickly to make a low save.

Portchester took the lead on 51 minutes in spectacular fashion when the ball was played forward down the left from midfield. Parish picked up the ball and as Tee Kanjanda lost his footing, the Royals’ striker cut inside his marker before curling his shot from 20 yards out past Thomas and into the far top corner.

Two minutes later the visitors had a chance to double their advantage when Wooden fired his low free kick from 25 yards out into the near post and Thomas just about smothered the fierce shot at his feet.

It was 2-0 on 58 minutes when Steve Ramsey took a corner from the left and his inswinging cross was glanced into the net by Parish from two yards out.

Portchester went close again a minute later when they swept forward down the right. The ball eventually found Wooden but he put his first time shot straight at Thomas.

The third goal for the visitors came on 67 minutes after Wooden spread play out to the left where Joe Noakes surged forward. His cross found Ramsey just inside the penalty area and he thumped his shot straight into the roof of the net.

Horndean’s miserable evening got worse two minutes later when Fuzz Kanjanda was given his marching orders after picking up his second yellow card.

Portchester were able to comfortably see out the match against nine men. On 72 minutes Evans received the ball from the right wing and sent his low shot past Thomas but just wide of the target.

Two minutes later Parish and substitute Brodie Spencer combined to set up a chance for Ramsey, whose low shot across goal was diverted around the post by Thomas.

With two minutes remaining substitute Liam Bush got forward before picking out Ramsey with a pass and his shot  forced Thomas to dive to his right to push the ball away.


GOALS: Jason Parish (51 mins, 58 mins), Steve Ramsey (67 mins).

LINE-UP: Brad Snelling, Olly Searle (replaced by Jack Barker on 22 mins), Joe Noakes (replaced by Liam Bush on 67 mins), Rob Evans, Craig Hardy, Jordan Rose, Nathan Paxton, Steve Ramsey, Jason Parish, Adam Cripps, Dan Wooden (replaced by Brodie Spencer on 72 mins).

UNUSED SUB: Sutcha Shepherd


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833